What is Driver CPC?
- As part of Driver CPC, penalties apply as according to Irish law.
- Failing to produce a certificate of Driver CPC can be a €2,000.00 fine
- Falsified documentation can be a €5,000.00 fine
- Operating without a valid Driver CPC can be a €2,000.00 fine
- Being an employer, permitting a third party, to operate without a valid Driver CPC a (relevant) vehicle can be a €5,000.00 find for the employer and the third party.
On September 10, 2013 it was put into place that professional bus drivers are to carry a Driver CPC card. This was updated in September 10, 2014 to reflect the same requirements on professional truck drivers. Following these two dates, it is deemed illegal to operate a vehicle professionally and not have a valid Driver CPC. There are penalties to uphold accountability to both of these expectations for both the employers and the drivers; compliance is expected and required.
Legal grounds for Driver’s CPC programme can be found in the EU Directive 2003/59/EC. This same legal basis was adopted by Irish Law as of 2008, found in SI No 359.
Drivers are not only expected and required to obtain their Driver CPC card, but must also maintain it by completing a CPC training module each year. This module must be completed by September 9th, a deadline set in place which keeps that driver’s CPC valid. Meeting this standard permits the driver to continue to drive professionally.
Safe Zone works with employers to identify and assess which options are most efficient, practical and cost effective in managing your programme for your drivers. Tailoring your Driver CPC training to your company’s requirements and needs must also be in compliance to relevant regulations and laws. Training is available nationwide, find locations in: Cork, Dublin, Galway, Limerick, Sligo, and Waterford.
CPC Modules Summary
- 1. Vehicle Control and Techniques for Eco Driving
- 2. Risk Minimization
- 3. Professional Driver’s Health and Safety
- 4. The Role of Professional Drivers: Transport Industry
- 5. Professional Truck Driving
- 6. Professional Bus Driving
At www.rsa.ie you can find more information in applying for your card; this can be done without all of the modules completed.